First Month: The Real Challenge

9:46 PM

They say that having a baby is a pile of adjustments. Yet again, this is true. Vincent and I have a different set-up compared to usual couples who've had their first child. We aren't married yet, so, there's a lot of adaptation to do from both parties. 

2-week old Caleb
Things to adapt with:
1. Take care of the baby. This includes: having sleepless nights; knowing your kid's needs; buying more baby stuff you didn't know that exist; proper cradling, bathing and feeding.

2. Knowing what's right for your little one. Here and there you'll hear things like "dapat ganito", "dapat ganyan" from people who try to help you with parenting. It can be a little confusing sometimes since some advice are contradicting. Always remember that you are the mother and you know what's best for your cutie. 

3. The pressure of breastfeeding. A mom's milk is very important. But what would you do if you've tried real hard to breastfeed but there isn't any milk coming out? Be ready for the people who will push you to do it. My milk came out four days after giving birth. 

3. Take care of yourself. I didn't want to look losyang after giving birth so I try to look good as long as I can. But, when you have a baby, a quick shower and a quick dump of poo is already a pleasure. Meaning, 80% of your time is mostly spent for your baby. The luxury of combing my hair happens only after I've taken a bath. 

4. Take care of your partner. I have two roles now - a mother and a wife. Technically speaking, I am not a wife yet, but that is not an excuse for playing my role. As much as possible, I want to provide the things that comforts my fiance. From simply serving him during meal time to physically and emotionally being there whenever he has a story or a rant to tell. 

5. Adjust with two homes. Since we don't have our own place yet, we decided to live with both our families. How? On weekdays we stay at my place and on weekends we stay at his. These are two families that we need to adjust with. Complying with house rules, showing respect, keeping our area clean and keeping ourselves from interfering with their daily routines is a must. I find this a good opportunity to know and bond with the in-laws. :)

6. Entertaining visitors. Everyone's excited about your baby. Friends, relatives and even distant people would like to see your first born. It may be a little challenging to prepare and entertain your visitors while trying to answer the needs of your baby. Don't get me wrong, we love having visitors and it's good to see that your newborn already feels loved and welcomed. :) 


Having all of these really make the first month a real challenge. Don't worry, you'll learn to adapt and eventually the cry of your baby will become a  pleasure to your ears. :)

Adjusted mom,
B.

You Might Also Like

0 comments