In Getting Engaged

2:54 AM


I’m engaged! Yes, the hopeless romantic me is now engaged!!!
Every woman dreams of having their prince whom they’d spend the rest of their lives with. As for me, I think we’re soulmates (kinikilig). As mushy and corny as it can be, I do believe we’re soulmates. 

Quick Plot of Our Love Story
Just like all other couples, our 5-year relationship has had its ups and downs. We spent the first four years dating, knowing each other deeper, getting through our college days and first job nitpicks, meeting friends and families, watching countless movies, and just simply having the best time together. What we had then was perfect until I went overseas to study.
We talked about what’s going to happen to us before I left. We weighed the pros and cons if we continued the relationship. I didn’t know then if I was ever coming back. We both knew that it was my goal to work overseas. He was very understanding and never stopped me from reaching my dreams. He gave me all his support and even encouraged me. I liked that about him.
We agreed that while I was away, he’ll accomplish his goals and I’ll reach mine. That we’ll grow as individuals and try seeing the world without the company of each other. That we’ll try meeting other people and see how it works out. In short, we’ll live in separate ways.
So I was gone…for a year. Just like that the person you were used to having around for years was miles away. We agreed of not engaging into any communication that involves video calls or voice calls. We limited ourselves to texts, emails and chats. We knew this would help us move on. Yes, it was torture but that was the best we can do…at least for ourselves. This went on for a year and 2 months to be exact.

During those days, I prayed to God that He bless our relationship – whatever it was that we had. It may sound pathetic but he was the one that I want to be with forever. Although unsure of what’s to happen, I still prayed that Vincent be my forever. I know for sure that if we’re destined then it will happen.

Day came that my feet stepped the humid land of Manila. Vincent picked me up at the airport and I was so glad that nothing between us was awkward. It was just like the same old us. A year of not seeing each other and here we are teasing and giggling as if nothing happened. I thank God for this. 

So we started from scratch. It was like we were back in college – going out on dates, watching movies, having dinner, etc. It was sweet sixteen all over again. Haha. It went for months and then ting! We’re back together! 


In Getting Engaged

We got engaged on the first of July, Saturday, our usual date day. Unlike what you see in the movies, the proposal didn’t portray the guy kneeling down and asking for marriage. There were no teary audience who watched us, no background music, no uber romantic spiel and definitely not a Mobbed-like experience. Some girls might be disappointed but I wasn’t. To me it was one of the most special days I’ve ever had (insert smitten emoticon here).

It was just the two of us. It happened over dinner while waiting for our food to be served. It was a usual Saturdate for us (or at least for me prior to the event). Then the box popped out and there I was flooding the restaurant with tears! It was an intimate proposal and our only witness was the waiter who served us. Thanks Kuya for giving me extra serviettes to wipe my tears. I went home with swollen eyes and a huge smile on my face. I was like floating in my own fairy tale world. I was the happiest girl that time. 


Beyond Engagement

It took me days to really absorb that I AM engaged. I’ve had lots of thoughts of what’s going to happen next – wedding, babies, house, preparing food, motherhood, being a wife, etc. It was overwhelming at first but the excitement weighed more.

Getting engaged means:
Accepting your partner for who he is – entirely. No exceptions.
Being ready to sacrifice for your soon-to-be husband – whatever it takes.
Being devoted to each other – no side flings, no affairs.
Putting your partner to priority.
Supporting each other.
Compromise.
Understanding each other’s standpoints.
Facing the new phase of life hand in hand – marriage, kids, etc.

There’s a lot to say. But really, it’s all about taking LOVE to the next level. I am more than ready for the new chapter of our lives and I am excited to spend forever with Vincent. He truly is an answered prayer from God. 

Falling in love means being happy and hurt at the same time. Every relationship has its test but true love will always prevail. God has set the perfect partner for each of us, we just have to wait. :)

Happy and contented,
B.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Ramdam ko ang pagka-in love and happiness mo just by reading this entry!!!!!! So happy talaga for you guys.. CONGRAAAAATTSSS!!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete