Punishment 101

1:11 AM



Today, I got really pissed at Caleb for not listening to me and more importantly for continuously hurting his 7-month old brother. He had so many rounds of pushing, laying over, and carrying Yuri by the neck. Everytime I scold him he just won't listen. Maybe to him, it's a form of play.

So, I raised the flag of a supermom and tried my very best to discipline Caleb. My husband and I had some attempts in doing the 'Stand in the Corner' scheme but we think that he's too young to understand. Today, I gave it another try. 

I had to spank his hand to scare him and to let him know how mad I am, and how bad the action he did. I don't want to hurt my kids but at some point it's a tool to raising disciplined and well-behaved human beings so I have to do it. 

He was crying the whole time and I successfully got him to stand in a specific corner. He tried to break the rule by sitting. Of course, I stuck to the rule of literally letting him stand in the corner. So far, he understands the situation. 

Now, it's time to explain why he was being punished and for how long he needs to stand there. Obviously, it won't make sense to him when I said 'You will stand there until Mommy says so!', so I set my phone in alarm for 3 minutes. I told him that the punishment is over once the phone alarms. Okay...so far he still understands. At the back of my mind I'm praying that this would be effective so that once and for all, I could discipline him. Yes, I'm getting tired of trying to excuse him for being too young to be disciplined. 

In all fairness to him, he obeyed. Although, I knew he was testing me (let's see how serious mom is) by trying to sit or move out of the corner. But the mama power is more powerful than his cute crying self. I was staring at him with mad eyes, really mad eyes just to let him know that 'Hey, this is serious and I'm not playing around!' 

The alarm saved him. I was silently jumping with joy because it was a successful, healthy way of punishing. 

Hopefully, it made sense to him. More importantly, i hope he remembers what happened tomorrow and the coming days. May the words STAND IN THE CORNER be the cue to his unwanted, longest and most crucial 4 minutes (or more, depending on how bad the situation is) of his toddler life. 

Scary mom wanna be on certain situations,
B. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments