In Memory of My Paps! :)

6:37 AM

Let me introduce to you the number one man in my life, my Paps! :)



It has been 5 years now since Paps left to be at the most serene, solemn place in the world – heaven. I was 18 years old then when he died. I was in second year college and was just starting to enjoy my teenage years when it happened. Up until today, I don’t know the reason why he left us so soon. The reason is still yet to be discovered. No matter what it is, I know it’s part of God’s plan for our family. :)



My Paps is the nicest person I’ve ever known. He rarely rose (or never) his voice when he’s mad, neither did he lay his hands on us as punishments. All I remember of him was his round, smiling face. Hmm, I guess that’s where I got my looks (especially the round part). Haha. There were times when family friends gave comments like “Grabe Nelson na Nelson ah.” or “Parang kabiyak na puwet ni Nelson ah.” whenever they see me. It makes me smile because in a way, I let them see my Paps’ identity even if he’s away (sometimes we think that he’s on a very very very long excursion :p).

I miss countless things about him. Eighteen years of being with him was like forever, only that my memories of him include myself at a young age (not to mention my nene and baduy days).


I miss how we frequent Baguio for almost every break from school. It was a place for vacation and bond for our family. I still remember the day I bumped flat-face in our hotel’s sliding glass door and everyone laughed at me. HAHA.


I miss how we eat out and every Sunday after mass and almost for all occasions. I miss how we pigged out in a hotel’s breakfast buffet.


I miss how we had innumerable out-of-town trips every year. I know this has been your dream for all of us, to travel the world. :)

I miss the way you turned our home into a movie house whenever you watched pirated DVDs in a very loud volume. We end up shouting at each other.


I miss the days when we go out fishing. :)

I miss the way you say “Let’s go. Let’s go!” and “Jingle na, jingle!” before we leave for a long drive.

I miss how you do your crazy dance in front of us, blocking our view of the TV.

I miss the way you craved for ice cream and chocolates for like forever. Takaw!  


I miss the way you and Mommy act like lovers. I also miss the way you sort of fight about you playing tennis on weekends and not rest instead.

Okay, medyo maarte na ako nun. :p
I remember the day we celebrated my 12th birthday in a bonggang way by mistake. We thought 12 years of age was the start of teenage years when in fact, it's actually thirTEEN. Haha. 

I remember the day you introduced to me beer when I was around 12 years old. Yes, beer. That day I learned you were the coolest Papa ever! :) Unfortunately, I’m still a weakling when it comes to alcohol.



Thank you for letting us see Cebu. That was our first ever airplane ride. 


Thank you for taking us on our very first trip to Boracay.



Thank you for taking us to Hong Kong and China few years back. Thank you for the money you gave us for shopping! :)



Thank you for giving me the funkiest debut ever. If only I knew this was your last year, we could have danced all night together. I’d even volunteer to do the LA Walk if you wanted to. :)





Thank you for taking us to Thailand as an extension of my 18th birthday. I remember you not touring with us at Safari World because you were secretly attacked by your disease. I know you’ll get mad at me for posting these photos, but the year you died was the birth of digicams and these are all I got.


Thank you for giving us a beautiful home, which we named Gracia for it, gave us countless blessings. It also miraculously saved us from Ondoy. It was as if you knew it was coming one day.

Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thank you for giving us all the means to visit Los Angeles and Las Vegas. This was so far the best 2 weeks of our lives! If it wasn’t for you, we could not have seen the beauty of the USA. I know you were with us on that trip. It’s great huh? :)


Thank you for preparing everything for us, including our education.. I feel sorry that you did not witness my graduation, capping, pinning, oath taking, board exam taking and my first day on my first job. I know you were with me on those days. :)


Thank you for the braces that made my teeth way way better today. :)


Thank you for accepting Vincent as my boyfriend even though you haven’t met him. I know you like him. :)

With you I learned a lot of things:
To be humble no matter what life status I may be at.
To be generous and helpful to those who are in need.
To be happy and just enjoy life as it goes.
To be a believer of God and to put Him as the center of my life.
To pray before I eat.
To respect my Mom and all other people may they be aged or not.
To be a family-oriented person.
To love my sisters.
That height doesn’t matter in this world.
That you have to adjust with other people.


Who I am today is all because of you and Mommy’s hard work of raising a child. Yes, you were not here when I needed you most, especially when I was confused of whether to pursue my Australia plans or not, but I know deep in my heart, that you are with me in every step that I take.

This is us today, still strong and fighting! :)
Now that I am 23 and about to face a new challenge in life, I strongly hold on to all the virtues you’ve taught me. I want you to know that you are my inspiration and that I dream of fulfilling the things you’ve left undone for our family. One day, your angels will tour the world, promise! :)

Now that you’re up there, can you please ask Jesus to hear my prayers? And also, if he’s in a good mood, to give me a few inches more to become taller? HAHA. :)

Hm confused if this was me or Kim. Haha. 
I LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU. Please show up in my dreams! :)

PS. Treasure every moment you have with your father while it lasts. There are people who are longing for such but can't do anything about it. Love them, hug them and kiss them while you can. :)

Love, Yays.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. OMG Ate B! Super teary-eyed na ko. :( Super nakakatouch!

    I know you're Dad's very proud of what you have become now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. L! Super thanks! Glad dito ka nagcomment. Haha. :p

    Yup I'm sure he is, and am also proud of him for raising 3 supah strong kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I never had the honour of meeting your father but I know he's half of the reason you are the wonderful person that you are today so I know he was great. yung tears ko bianx haha.

    Pae

    P.S. It's so nice to see you honouring your father even after his passing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PAE! Appreciate your tears! I'm sure if he met you, matutuwa yun sayo. Pareho kayong mabait plus ang bait mo sakin. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your father must have been so proud of you. Good job, B!

    -Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinsan I came across this blog only now at work. I cant stop crying its so embarrassing haha. I just imagined how hard it would be without my pops. You are a very strong person and Im so proud of the way you handle your situation. I cant wait to start your new journey in Australia with you :)Gimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinsan! Haha iyakin ang mga Reyes so there's no surprise na naiyak ka. A lot of my friends who didn't know Paps cried when they read this, what more to those who knew him. Yep, kailangan maging strong eh! That's the only way to face life. Help me okay? :) Me too I'm excited for Australia. I REALLY hope it's for me. See you soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo ng, I was starting to cry again just telling papa about it! I'll try my best to make Australia feel like home for you. It's not going to be easy but you've got the Reyes family in Australia to support you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! Kahit ako pag binabasa ko I get teary-eyed eh. Hehe. Yup, I know it's going to be hard pero at least I got the Reyes family with me. THANK YOU!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete