Me As A Carer

4:42 AM


Last week I officially started working as a personal carer and have undergone week long training that I can describe as intense. As a carer, our main objective is to assist residents with their activities of daily living. This includes helping them during meals, giving them a shower, supporting them as they dress themselves, and just lending them a hand as they face another day of their lives.




The moment I applied for this job, I have brought with me Sharon Cuneta’s line in her movie Caregiver. “I care about my job, Sir. I care about you!”, was her dialogue when she encountered an insensitive old man that stopped her from performing well at work. I have prepared myself to say this to any of my patients just in case circumstances permit me to. Haha. So far, I am happy to say that majority of the residents are really nice and lovely! :)

Being a carer is tough yet a very fulfilling job at the same time. It’s tough in the sense that it is physically challenging, you need to have the strength to turn and position the residents. Plus, regardless of how weak a resident is (bedridden or fully independent) we are only allotted 20 minutes to feed, shower and dress them. Talk about time management!  



A carer must be passionate of what he/she does. You need to have tons of patience. You need to be compassionate. You must always think that you are dealing with human beings and not animals. Most of all, you must put yourself in their situation and think how dreadful it is to be dependent of others.

This job made me realize that I don’t want to get old. I don’t want to lose my precious ability to eat and drink on my own. I don’t want to be ill and depend on others. I want to be hygienically perfect until I die, and that the last thing I want is some stranger giving me a shower without even properly washing my thing down there. I don’t want my whole room to stink just because I am incapable of cleaning myself. I don’t want to spend the last days of my life talking none sense on my own, or staring blankly at nowhere and fall asleep as I sit and wait for my next meal to come. Seriously, this is what they do every single day! 



I feel so sad seeing these old people. I feel bad that their families neglected them and chose to throw them in an aged care after all their hard work. I will always hold on to my Filipino belief that parents should stay with their children until the day they die. That is why, I will NEVER EVER put my mom in a nursing home.

On the brighter side, my heart melts whenever they thank me for whatever I do or help them with. It just makes me feel good that I am able to help them in some ways. :)

PS. I think ageing scares me.

*Photos from Google. I don't think I'm allowed to take photos at work.*

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. interesting and insightful as always Bianca. Good job! We miss u here! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting and insightful as always Bianca. Good job! We miss you here. Take care and enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ate Ting! You're back to blogging! :) I miss you all too! Enjoy Pinas. :)

    ReplyDelete