Confessions of a Nurse

10:15 PM


This week I was assigned to look after a patient who has MND or Motor Neuron Disease. This is a horrible disease that will slowly kill you. For me, this is worst than any type of Cancer. This has no cure, unlike cancer that has some chances of survival through chemotherapy. MND attacks all motor neurons, including those in the legs, trunk, arms, swallowing and even breathing. It will leave you paralyzed. It’s a killing-me-softly disease.

My patient is only 59 years old who previously worked as a Registered Nurse until symptoms of her disease were noticed. She can’t walk, sit up or move any part of her lower body. Her arms (which are only strong enough to ring the bell) and head are the only parts she can control. A lifter is used to transfer her from bed to chair, or bed to toilet. Her communication skill is next to nothing. She moans and tries her best to say what she needs, but in the end, I don’t understand anything. All she can say were ‘Yes’ and ‘No’. She rings the bell to ask you to change the channel of the television, move her knees apart from each other, raise the head of the bed or have a sip of water. All of these I was able to comprehend after 3 minutes of pulling out words out of her.

What I like about her was despite her condition, she still manages to smile. She is 100% coherent, and if you tell her jokes she gets it and grin. She can’t say ‘Thank you’, but through her smiles, you know and feel that she appreciates everything you do for her.  

The sad part is, because of her condition, she is neglected by her family. She lives in a nursing home ever since she was diagnosed. The family can’t just handle her needs and complete dependency. Her 15-year old son was distant with her, but when you ask her she makes it seem like he was the perfect son. This I guess is called a mother’s love.

I feel so bad for her both for being in that condition and for having a selfish family. I told her that if by any chance I get to work in the nursing home where she resides, I will look for her. She smiled and nodded her head. For the two days I spent with her, I made it sure I looked after her with respect, care and love. It’s all I can offer.

She never wished to have that awful disease. She never imagined herself to live in a nursing home at a young age. Most of all, she never wanted her family to neglect her. So for everyone like me who is as healthy as a newborn baby, take care of your loved ones. If at some point, they become a burden to you, always think: “What if I was the one in his/her position? How do I want to be treated?”  

B.

You Might Also Like

0 comments